Sunday 22 May 2016

Celine Dion delivers tearful speech months after husband's death: 'The show must go on'



Celine Dion was honored with the Billboard Icon Award at Sunday night's Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house by the time she was done with her acceptance speech.

The singer, whose husband René Angélil died died in January, took the stage at the T-Mobile Arena to perform a rousing rendition of her hit, "The Show Must Go On." The message of the song provided the moment with extra meaning, and Dion looked confident throughout the song.

SEE ALSO: Britney Spears rocks the stage with her greatest hits at the Billboard Music Awards 2016

With an orchestra behind her and Lindsey Stirling accompanying her, the 48-year-old rocked a metallic one-shoulder gown with a thigh-high slit that fit her amazing figure incredibly well.

The most emotional moment of the night came when René-Charles, Dion's oldest son, was called out on stage by Seal as a surprise presenter of the Icon Award to hit mother. Dion immediately broke down in tears.

See photos of the incredibly emotional moment with her son:

"I'm so sorry for crying," she said tearfully after being left speechless for almost a minute at the mic. "I want to be so strong for my family, and my kids and I didn't expect that."

"I don't want to cry in front of you, but you make me so happy," she said directly to her son. "Thank you."

After asking her son to stand next to her throughout her acceptance speech, Dion continued sharing her emotional thanks to everyone she's worked with and loved throughout her life, everyone who has helped propel her to the icon status that she has earned.

"This is such a tremendous honor," she said. "Music has been my pasison since before I can almost remember. So many people have helped me get where I am today -- I cannot name them all, obviously, but I hope they recognize themselves."

She then looked up into the stands and thanked her "fans for traveling through music with me through good and bad times."

Her voice wavered again when it became time to address her family and her late husband's tragic absence on her big night.

"[I want to thank] my family: My mom who wrote my first song, my children and, most importantly, my beloved husband, who I know will continue to watch over me from up above."



Before lifting up her award, Dion declared that "the show must go on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment